Saturday, August 22, 2015

Mirror image

And now for something completely different...


Jeff has a small collection of motorcycle models and during the move, one of the mirrors came off of his favorite one.  Unfortunately he didn't realize it until we'd already thrown away all of the packing material and that box.  We searched and searched on the floor and under things, but couldn't find it.

He was bummed out and not sure what to do.  He mentioned that he might just take the other one off, so at least the bike is symmetrical.  I've had the idea all along to try and make a new mirror for him, but I wasn't 100% sure how I might do it.  I decided to give it a whirl today.

Here's the one that's left.


It's a fairly simple shape, but a bit complex too - if that makes any sense!


I examined it from every angle, then grabbed some wire as close to the right size as I've got, and got to work.

First, I bent the wire as close as I could to the basic shape of the other mirror - only reversed.


Looks sorta right.


To check the lines, I held it against the other one.  I don't think it's exactly perfect, but it's hard to tell without the solld part of the new mirror filled in.


I studied both of them from every angle, did some tweaking and then...

Yay!  I get to use this stuff again!  It will be my first time since the move.


I mixed up a small glob (technical term) and started filling in the wee wire framework.


Getting there...


I missed up another small glob, finished the main part of the mirror and then verrrry carefully formed the wider bits on the mirror stalk.


It's hard to tell at this stage, but I had to say that it already looks better than I thought I'd be able to do.


Now, to let the epoxy dry.  I left it sitting like this; a new technique for drying.  I've never done this before, but it seemed like a good idea.


After it's dry, I'll give it a coat of matte black and see how it looks.  I'm not 100% sure how to do the actual mirrored part, but I'm learning towards a tiny circle of aluminum foil.  ;)


Of course, I had a bit of epoxy left over.  What to do...?  Ah, I know, I'll put some on this guy.  He can be my epoxy dump - he's going to need a lot of it.  Oh, you don't know him yet...  but you will, eventually.  ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment