Monday, June 29, 2015

Not. Happy.

Today started out with me unpacking some more boxes in the living room and then heading for the studio.  I decided I wanted to make several new halters today, but first I wanted to get out another horse to use as a model.  So I thought I'd take a peek into the "figurines" boxes where my horses are.

What followed was a few hours of me unpacking ALL of the "figurines" and becoming more and more angry.

Is this how you would pack some model horses - or anything breakable - for a cross country/overseas journey?



Me neither.

They were just standing in the bottom of this box (and other boxes) with a couple pieces of packing paper laid on top and another layer of horses laid in (in most cases, on top of each other).


Some were bodies packed in this way, but most weren't.  Thankfully I didn't find anything broken, but a lot of rubs and scratches and even warped legs.  I'm trying to decide if it would be worth the hassle to try and file a damage claim for the move.

What makes me most angry is that any time Jeff and I were around while the guy was packing up the horses, we saw him wrapping them individually in paper.  However, it obvious that when we weren't around, he was cramming them in the boxes with no padding at all.

Hey, do you see any NAN-qualified SR Pacers in the box below?  I'm not sure I see anything LSQ anymore either... Thankfully the Pacers at least had their blankets on.  Pretty much everyone here had damage in the form of rubs, except Rana in the lower right.  He somehow survived seemingly unscathed.  I have no idea how.


What the hell... So much for the guy wrapping each one...  when we weren't around.  Two more (former?) mint OFs.  The Flash is okay I think, but the Bolya has a warped leg and scratches/rubs.  That is one of my favorite horses.  :(


See how beat up the inside of this box is?  Those were hooves, noses, tails, shoulders, hips, all pressed into the cardboard with no packing material.


After my irate inspection, I wrapped everyone up to wait until I have safe places to keep them out.  Here are some of them, more well protected to sit in a closet than they were to cross the world.


One might say, "oh he didn't know what they were, he just thought they were toys" (someone here said that to me tonight after I told the story), but then why was he wrapping each one so carefully whenever Jeff or I were around?  The whole thing really stinks.  Thankfully I didn't find anything broken (surprisingly), but plenty of minor damage on several of them.

I had originally planned to pack them all myself, but then the movers had showed up a week early.  We really thought it would be okay when we saw the guy wrapping each horse in paper.  The only ones I packed myself were all of my minis and my resins (Thankfully!!).  So at least they should be okay.  I haven't checked them yet, but I'm confident they are all fine.  I shudder to think how many busted Stablemates I'd have now if this guy had thrown them all in a box.

Worst case scenario, I guess I have a bunch of new bodies to customize.  That would be fine if most of these weren't my childhood models (many -were- still in great shape) and many are favorites.  I might be able to fix some of them, I don't know.  It's just not the same.

Sigh.

1 comment:

  1. I think you should file a damage claim. The guy knew they were fragile, why else would he be carefully packing them when you walked by him?

    ReplyDelete