Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Popsicle Progress

A little while ago, I made my first attempt at an "earthquake proof" model horse holder.  I called it my "popsicle stick prototype", since that's what it was made from.


In the time since, I picked up some more supplies, namely several long pieces of wood, about the same dimensions, to use for my idea.

A few days ago, I measured one of the shelves and cut a couple of the long pieces to fit in there.

The next step was to cut up some more popsicle sticks for uprights and a couple of horizontals to see how things might look.  Here are the results, showing the outer frame on the shelf.


I still have to make all of the dividers and I'm thinking the final rack will be all glued together for added stability, even though the notch system I've been doing holds things together fairly well.

I'm thinking I'll be able to fit 15 horses per shelf, doing the setup this way.

Here's another view, with the original prototype below.


There is a lot more popsicle stick cutting and notching to come in my future with this project!

After I get the minis squared away, I'll have to decide on a setup for the big horses.


4 comments:

  1. That's a really good idea for stablemates . For earthquakes....or clutzy owners. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Yes, it will certainly help with being clutzy too. :D

      Delete
  2. This is so much cooler than the wires I used to use on my shelves. But I wasn't in an earthquake zone and it was only for the open shelf-ends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been brainstorming a lot of different ideas and i'm still not 100% sure how I'll do the big horses, but I'm leaning toward a larger version of these. Jeff's dad had told us that he used to use tacks and string to keep his model cars from rolling off the shelf when he was a kid. I hadn't even thought of something like that, but I think it was for the open end of the shelf, like you said. :)

      Delete