Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Cross-Stitching Books (and a horse book too)

I apologize for the pictures in this post, they seem a little washed out.  I'm not sure if it's just my monitor or not.  I'm running off of my laptop, which I don't normally do, but my desktop machine still isn't set up yet.  It could be my choice of location too.  I haven't quite found a good photo shoot spot here yet - and anything that would help me with that (lights, backdrop etc.) is not here yet. 

-------------------------------

One of the first places I checked out on base was the library.  Even with the whole world at my fingertips via a keyboard and the Internet, I still love holding a book.  The first section I went to was the craft books.  I was happy to see a ton of books on Japanese arts and crafts; I'm certainly planning to check some of them out in the future.  However, for my first trip, I ended up getting two books on cross-stitch. 


I thought it might be fun to do a bit of an initial book review, since I just finished flipping through both of them.  (and marking many pages to come back to)

The first is Mary Engelbreit Cross-Stitch.


I really like her work, I have several rubber stamps that are her designs, along with some greeting cards and notepads I'd bought.  This book adapts some of her designs for use in cross-stitch. 

Although I love to cross-stitch my saddle pads, I'm not actually a huge fan of a lot of cross-stitched motifs and pictures.  I'm just not into the pixelated, blocky look that a lot of the designs have.  I was happy to see the designs in this book.  Most of them don't have that obvious chunky cross-stitched look, and a few in particular are ones I would really like to make.

This was the first section I saw that caught my eye.  I love the saying: "Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."  - Abraham Lincoln.  I agree!


Another design/saying I like is this one: "Sow good services: Sweet remembrances will grow from them." - Mde. de Stael.


I love things inspired by nature and this acorn and fall leaves design caught my eye right away.


I really like this idea for a notebook/journal/idea book cover.


None of the designs from that book are anything that I would sell, I envision them as fun little projects to possibly decorate my new Studio with.  Maybe I would give them as gifts too.


The next book is: Around The World in Cross Stitch, by Jan Eaton.
 

 This book is really neat.  It is divided into several sections, different parts of the world.  For example, of interest to me because of where we live now:


There is an introductory write up for each section.


Then a few patterns, most with more information as to the specific inspiration or area they are from.


 There are many, many border and motif ideas throughout the book, from simple to complex.


This in particular is something I HAVE to stitch...  It doesn't hurt that I love blues and greens - so this caught my eye immediately.


I can see a ton of inspiration coming from this book, for saddle pads and other ideas as well.


On a totally unrelated note, here is the third book I got at the library:


Their selection of horse books is very small and I'd say I've already read half of them and own a few.  However, they do have a few books that have long been on my reading list, including this one.  I'm already halfway through it and it is a fascinating, if a little sad, read.  Sad, because it deals with the decline of the wild horses, the buffalo, and the "Indians".  The book was written before the Wild Horse and Burro Protection Act had come about; so at its writing, wild horses had no protection and anyone could capture or kill them.

One of the coolest things about the book, being that I'm a bit of a Spanish Mustang enthusiast, are the repeated references to Bob Brislawn and the Cayuse Ranch.  There are also several pictures of Spanish Mustangs from the Cayuse, including... San Domingo!




I hope you enjoyed a peek at what I'm reading right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment